Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Preparing Your Mare for Breeding
  by Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Introduction

Introduction » Heat Cycles » Timing of the Heat Cycles: Bringing Mares into Heat » Laboratory Tests » Vaccinations » Shoeing » Discussion » More Info 

Every year I try to talk folks out of breeding their horses. An odd position for someone who runs a breeding facility. But there it is. I have to admit that I do not think I have ever succeeded. After it is all over I do get a lot of "You were right". My main points are:
  • It is more expensive to breed, raise, and train than to buy.
  • There is a fair chance the foal will not be what you need.
  • Raising foals and breaking colts is a job for a professional.
  • It is a little risky for both the mare and your wallet.
Of course the balance to this is that young foals are incredibly cute and that I believe is the main reason I lose this argument. Remember that you should try to breed your mare prior to age 16 if possible and middle age mares with no early breeding have lower conception rates. If you are still determined, alright go ahead and here is what you need to do. This article is more or less an outline with links to other articles for the details. Pick out the ones that apply to you.
      ~Word Count: 1055 words (The average magazine page contains about 600 words);
      ~Last Updated: June 23, 2011;

There are 2 ways to access the complete article:

You have just read the introduction to one of our nearly 800 articles on horse care, diseases, and training. It includes a description of the contents of the unabridged version. As a guest you can access this article two different ways: either purchase the article or become a member and take advantage of all the benefits Horseadvice.com has to offer. Check out our Membership Drive Discount below but hurry. This is for a limited time!
BBB Reliability Seal Your assurance of excellent customer service.
128 bit SSL encryption We use 128 bit SSL encryption, so your order is secure.

#1: Article Purchase: $7 US for instant access to the unabridged article.

We guarantee your satisfaction or we will refund the purchase price:

#2 Join Horseadvice: for as little as $4 US a month you get instant access to this article and one of the finest equine resources in the world!

During our membership drive we will waive our 10$ Join Fee!

Full Access with No Posting: 4$ US a month

• Recommended to those who wish to have full access to one of the finest equine resources, including articles and discussions, but does not feel the need to post to the discussion boards.
  • 14$ 4$ US to join which includes the first month. Membership automatically renews monthly for 4$ US. You may cancel anytime online.
Full Access Membership
Price: 14$ US
Membership Drive Price: 4$ US
(includes first month access)

Full Access with Discussion Posting: 7$ US a month

• Recommended to those who wish to have full access to one of the finest equine resources anywhere and engage an equine veterinarian and experienced horsefolks with questions and discussions on all aspects of horses and horsemanship.
  • 31$ 21$ US to join, which includes the first 3 months. Membership then automatically renews monthly for 7$ US. You may cancel anytime online.
Full Service Membership
Price: 31$ US
Membership Drive Price: 21$ US
(includes 3 months service)

Uncertain if you want to become part of one of the finest most up-to-date equine resources in the world? Click Here for More Information!

Discussions on Preparing Your Mare for Breeding
  Titles Subtopics Posts Updated
iconPreparing a mare for frozen semenApr 14, 12
iconCulturing and Cytologies link doesn't workApr 3, 11
iconTiming of testsAug 5, 08
iconMare with 70 mm follicle - slight mucous dischargeJul 10, 08
iconHow big is too big?13 Dec 9, 07
iconGrade 3 endometrial biopsyNov 16, 07
iconConformation of mareJul 6, 07
icon18 year old mare w/ cystsNov 9, 05
iconCheck in and Questions on Breeding BillApr 5, 03
iconBreeding two year old filly18 Apr 17, 06
iconBreeding brother & sisterJun 6, 02
iconBreeding Mare with fractureApr 1, 02
iconPreparing foaling stall20 Apr 20, 09
iconHow old is TOO old?Jan 14, 02
iconTo breed or not to breed...40 Nov 15, 07
icon23 yo mare - has two registered foalsNov 18, 01
icon20 year old mare never had a foalMay 19, 01
iconArchived DiscussionsClick link to access data.
Before posting be sure to review the articles on your topic and preexisting discussions to see if your question has been answered.

Start a New Discussion
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC