Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on New Arab Colt

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BRIAN D. ROHM
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 8, 1999 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are new members to the advisor (1 week), what a great thing ! We are new (1 year) to the horse ownership life style and I do mean life style. To do this right you must become a "true" horseperson. I learn something new every day. So enough about us lets learn something for the colt. He is a 8 month old 7/8 arab/paint, sorrel with 4 white socks. His sire is a black full arab and from what I have learned is a "hot" horse. His dame is a full paint with a calm attitude. He was in the pasture with 4 other foals and was weened about 8 weeks ago. I had 3, 1/2 hour halter breaking sessions with him before he was delivered to the farm. His barn mate is his 1/2 sister ( same sire ), she is 1/2 arab 1/2 app and comming up on 4 years old. They have bonded well together in the last 6 weeks. He wont let her out of his sight, he ran through a fence one day we put her in the barn first ( we wont be doing that again !), they go in together now. I cant get within 6 feet from him in the pasture so all of our time is spent in his stall. He will not let me touch him, he has a couple of times after 45 min sessions of pressure and then releasing when he turns to look at me. By the way his barnmate is in the stall next to us when we are doing this. He has taken a couple of steps towards me when I release the pressure but has never has came to me. Does he not repect me or is just not trusting yet ? I am committed to not rushing things but I am getting concerned I am moving to slow. Some pepole have said oh you should have been grooming him by now. Sorry about making this so long but I felt its important to give some background in order to get good advise. I look forward to some responses.

Have a Great Day and God Bless.
Brian

Teresa Alexander-Arab
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 8, 1999 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never worked with a young foal but I do know that you can't move too slow. Most mistakes are made by trying to force an issue.

A trick I've learned when my horse is deciding to ignore me in the pasture is to try a few things:
1. make a fuss over his pasture mate, patting, grooming etc.,. He becomes jealous and so comes for his share

2. sit on my haunches and be interested in something on the ground.

3. walk around the pasture and totally ignore him (it's a good time to check the fences).
'

You could also try bringing treats with you everytime so he looks forward to you coming. YOu might even try taking a lawn chair and a book into the pasture and reading it for a while. It gives him a chance to get used to you being around.

have patience.

Teresa

Heidi Hocker
Posted on Thursday, Dec 9, 1999 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the wonderful world of young horses! If you are having trouble with catching/handling a young horse, you might try some sessions with him in a stall. Go into the stall with a brush/curry comb, don't take a halter, unless you really feel you need it. Just spend some time in the stall each day grooming/touching/getting to know him.. The horse learns to love this activity, and looks to you to ease his "itchy spots".
Don't push the halter training, until he learns to know you, and learns that just because you are there, something bad isn't going to happen.
Having raised quite a few Arabs and Half Arabs, I have learned, that they really need to bond to their human. The more time you spend with him, the more he will bond. I also recommend that you be the only one that feeds him, whether he's in a stall or turned out. That way, he also learns that you are the one with the "good stuff".
Just be patient, and don't worry about the technical stuff, it will come with time. Your colt is probably just yearning for someone to bond with, and right now, his sister is the one. Give him a couple of weeks to get to know you, one on one, and you'll have a friend for life.

The only caution I would give, is don't let him try to become to dominant with you. As you spend time with him, don't let him get away with bad behavior (biting, Kicking, pushing you around). All of these habits will have to be trained out later, if not dealt with as they start.

Heidi

BRIAN D. ROHM
Posted on Thursday, Dec 9, 1999 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heidi Thank You for your imput !

You are so correct about these Arabs they are so smart. I tell him all the time I want to be his freind and I know we will be best freinds some day. There is so much differant info out there that a rookie horseman like myself gets concerned am I doing the write things ? As far as spending time with him I do alot but just not for long periods of time ( 1-2 hours ) 3-4 times a week. He is getting pretty big ( I think he is going to be a big horse) so I am conserned about puting to much pressure on him in his stall. If he decides to fight I am going to be in a very dangerous position. I have had some tell me that a young colt will hurt you sooner or later and this is on the back of my mind. I hope I am not showing this to him IE: your caution on him dominating me. As I have learned this would be a very bad thing at any point in our relationship. I enjoy this horse and this adventure very much. I know that a youg horse and a young trainer could be a bad formula but I am very committed to making it a winning team.

God Bless
Brian & Arrow

PS. Arrow is the colt, he got his name from his white tail that goes up the middle of his rump and stops in a arrow head.( cool huh ! )

Lesley Braun (Braunfam)
Posted on Friday, Apr 19, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would spend the same amount of time per day just broken up into two or more sessions, that way Arrow won't have as much time to forget the last session, sometimes more shorter learning sessions are more effective than a few long ones. I have trained several arabs from youth on up and have found that this really works. Lesley

Zoe
Username: Zoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 2, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lesley, good advice! Well Brian you need to listen to Lesley but I would'nt make it boring..... Meaning I would do a lesson for the same time like Lesley said but I would TRY to change the lesson because if you dont then Arrow will get to bored with it and its back to square one!
~Zoe~
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC