Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Heavy bit

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cp
Username: Cpacer

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, Aug 28, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just received a new bit in the mail that I ordered online, and it feels really heavy to me, at least much heavier than the others I've had.

Just wondering if the heaviness will have any adverse affect on my horse. Will it make him heavier, or be annoying for him to carry?

The bit is just a full-cheek snaffle made from sweet iron. It's supposed to be very easy on the mouth. Thanks!

Holly Wood
Username: Hwood

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Monday, Aug 28, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, cp.
Is your former bit a hollow-mouth? Is the sweet-iron mouthpiece thicker than the mouthpiece on your previous bit? I have witnessed the following effect when changing to a different/heavier bit . . . the horses placed their faces more on the vertical as if to take the extra pressure off of the corners of their lips, their bars, and tongue . . . but as they got used to the feel and got comfortable with how to hold it in their mouths, they returned to their previous ways of going. One thing is certain for me . . . the change in bits didn't change the horse's behavior . . . but when I went learned about training horses to respond to the lightest pressure, that's when I started getting more obedient and happy horses.
The sweet iron full-cheek sounds like a good bit, and if you are going from a stainless steel full-cheek to a sweet iron, then your horse may like the flavor better.

cp
Username: Cpacer

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, Aug 28, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We're actually coming off of using the Bitless bridle, but previously used a D-ring snaffle with some copper rollers on it that I think may have been hollow too (it was really light). I heard that copper doesn't taste very good and figured my horse graduated from the rollers so I got the new one with full-cheek that my mentors use (not sure how heavy their's are though).

The Bitless was fine for trail riding, but my trainer felt it didn't give as quickly as it should when pressure was released so my horse got frustrated when his response wasn't reciprocated.

He is very light right now and I don't want to loose that. We're always on a loose rein and have not yet practiced collection, other than when doing lateral-type lessons (I think).
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC