Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Barn Rules for a lesson & boarding stable

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeanne P. Paul (Jeanne)
Posted on Friday, Jan 18, 2002 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going to be starting a lesson and possibly boarding stable. I know some of the rules I want to post but would appreciate any suggestions from you.
Thanx,

marci iverson (Aachen)
Posted on Friday, Jan 18, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No unattended childeren!

Ann Cohrs (Apcohrs)
Posted on Saturday, Jan 19, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1) Helmets. (Where I board, its helmets if you are under 18 and helmets if you jump. If it were my place, it would be ALWAYS helmets.)
2) Clean up after your horse if s/he messes in the aisle.
3) Don't leave horses unattended on crossties.
4) Breakaway halters required if you leave halters on in stalls or turnout.
5) Arena rules like: People lunging horses must have permission from any riders present.

Nancy E. Hodges (Redwood)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No loose dogs.
Regular worming and vaccination program required.
Clear rules on friends of boarders visiting facility.
Decide if you'll allow outside trainers.

Nancy

Elizabeth Anderson (Liza)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget to cover your liability also. Make sure you have a good bording contract and also a seperate waiver for riding that ANYONE who gets on a horse on your property has to sign. A lot of states require a Liability sign be posted, but you still need a signed form and your own insurance.

You also want to have Care, Custody and Control insurance. Even if you are boarding one horse, this is insurance you need in addition to your farm/stable insurance.

There are a lot of good companies who can provide this nationwide and can help with forms you need to provide your boarders or anyone who rides, instructs or trains a horse on your property.

For example, if you have a instructor or trainer come to your farm, you need to either include them in your coverage or see proof of their insurance. We've found most reputable instructors/trainers always carry their own.

Anyone who rides on our property is required to wear a helmet. We can't control what they do if they ride across the street, but it IS required here for our insurance.

A couple of good agencies you may want to check with are:
American Bankers Insurance Group (run a search for an agent in your state) or
Plamp-Keen Agency, Inc. 1-800-626-2494

Both of these companies can also provide mortality and major medical insurance on your own horses, plus tack coverage and a variety of other services.

We use both of them. Bankers for our farm coverage and Plamp-Keen for our major medical and mortality.

CHERYL GALL (Sctamaus)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No smoking. No alcoholic beverages.

JM (Jojo15)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about stallions? and boarding them. This used to be an issue here at our barn. Alot of people don't like them around. And even more don't like to see them do their stuff....

Easier rules, like;

Shoes must be worn
stalls mucked daily
worming all on same schedule
must replenish sand and shavings monthly

do you want a copy of our rules? i could send it along or copy and paste here, but its two pages long... and took a year to get it right....LOL

let me know.

jojo

Jeanne P. Paul (Jeanne)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would love a copy.
Thanx,
Jeanne

JM (Jojo15)
Posted on Sunday, Jan 20, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just uploaded the files to a yahoo account. This way it doesn't get too long here. And lose formatting.

There is a boarding agreement added, also.

We even have a stallion rules sheet. But can't seem to upload it. Will try again later.

I stable in a 70 horse barn. We have a committee that came up with and approved these rules. So, some of them might be a little simple, but when dealing with so many people you must spell out every little thing. Even if it sounds like a "duh" moment. If you don't spell it out, people tend to take advantage.

Hope this helps you format yours. The boarding agreement is our saving grace for non payers, and abusive owners. And it legally gives us the ability to call the authorities or seize the animal in necessary cases. The barn is a better respected place because of these rules. It holds people more accountable for their actions...

jojo

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/oliver33328

Jeanne P. Paul (Jeanne)
Posted on Monday, Jan 21, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanx, JoJo and everyone else for your help. I kept copies of all your ideas and will use them to compile my own Barn Rules, Boarding Contracts and Waivers.
Jeanne

Susan E. Gannon (Sgannon)
Posted on Thursday, Jun 6, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My boarding barn was sold about a year ago. The new owner is nice and horse wise. However, she has had some trouble maintaining good barn rules. Actually, she has not posted any, so none are being followed. The previous owners/manager had good rules, that everyone followed – but with the new ownership, things have just slipped. The care of the horses is good, just a slip on keeping things neat and orderly. The new owner is busy getting all the new things done – new fences; up keep the grounds, trying to keep good help. However, a lot could be done with a strong set of good barn rules posted.

I care about this barn, and want to help get it back to being a 'well groomed' barn. I remember, but could not find, a message that listed some good barn rules (that had some 20 items). I know each barn would have different rules, but could use some help on getting started.

Please note, this is a good horsewoman, good horses, and good boarders -- just needs some help.

p.s. Jojo -- I could not reach your Yahoo link.

THANKS!!

Holly Edwards (Hwood)
Posted on Thursday, Jun 6, 2002 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Susan,
CHA (Certified Horsemanship Association) has laminated barn rules that you can post in your barn. Their web site is www.cha-ahse.org
They have a toll free number (800-399-0138)
Their address is: CHA
5318 Old Bullard Road
Tyler, TX 75703

Holly

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Friday, Jun 7, 2002 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Susan,
Run a search on "barn rules" and I think you will find lots of discussions on this popular topic.
DrO

Susan E. Gannon (Sgannon)
Posted on Monday, Jun 10, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did try just that exact search, and only got a few hits. The big issue with this barn is that there are now a lot more kids riding and taking care of the place. So good barn rules will matter in maintaing the 'kids' hangout environment.

Fiona Farrell (Lala)
Posted on Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jojo--

Any chance you could re-upload the set of barn rules? they don't seem to still be accessible on the yahoo briefcase file site anymore. I remember them as the most exhaustive set I had read and now can't find the copy I thought had printed out.

thanks, Fiona

josephine milano (Jojo15)
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 2, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HI all, I just stumbled on this thread, otherwise I would have never known you were asking me to fix the problem..... I have just linked to the site and had no problems, but i am logged on to it... What i can do is either upload them here (with Dr. O's approval) or figure out another place where you can get them.... hmmmm. Let me figure out the best way for the long term.

On a correlating note, we just had to evict our first boarder. Police handed them the papers and all, etc. And we could have never involved the police if we hadn't had all the rule sheets in order and signed boarding agreements. And these troublemakers would never have left without a brou-ha (sp?).... sad really.

Anyways, will figure something out tonight or morning....

jojo

Posted on Wednesday, Jul 3, 2002 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By all means Josephine, upload them. This is a good time to remind everyone that they can set their profiles so that they are emailed whenever there is a new post to a discussion that they have posted to.
DrO

Fiona Farrell (Lala)
Posted on Friday, Jul 5, 2002 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks jojo and Dr. O.

I actually found your rules because had saved them from the uploading you had done to yahoo files. BUT -- I think they are so comprehensive that would be useful for all us HA members/users to be able to access. Being the nothing succeeds like excess type, would add several points to what you already have, a lot of them ones covered in other discussions here, my big bugs are safety first and clarity of communication to avoid misunderstanding. And, congratulations on successful first eviction -- paperwork is a pain in the hindquarters but can really save same, as you've shown. When I get my batch of rules into shape I'll pass them along here. Thanks again, Fiona

Posted on Friday, Jul 5, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, its long. It's also in all caps. i don't know why. And the formating might be lost when I upload this.... I will add the stallion rules we have too.... (i know, i know its pathetic, but if you don't state the obvious people take advantage.)

SADDLE UP STABLES
STABLE RULES

IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN SAFETY TO ALL RIDERS AND HORSES, AS WELL AS MAINTAIN CLEANLINESS THROUGHOUT THE STABLE GROUNDS, SADDLE UP STABLES HAS ESTABLIISHED THE FOLLOWING RULES TO BE FOLLOWED:

1. THE STABLES OPEN AT 6:00 AM AND CLOSE AT 11:00 PM. ALL RIDING MUST CEASE BY 10:00 PM TO ALLOW TIME TO PROPERLY COOL AND GROOM HORSES. NO ONE MAY BE ON THE PREMISES BEFORE 6:00 AM OR AFTER 11:00 PM EXCEPT TO HANDLE ANY EMERGENCY OR TEND TO A SICK AND/OR INJURED HORSE.

ALL RIDING AND HORSE HANDLING IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK, AS IS THE PARTIAL BOARDING FEEDING.

2. CIGARETTE SMOKING, CIGAR SMOKING, AND PIPE SMOKING ARE PROHIBITED ANYWHERE UNDER THE ROOFS OF THE BARNS. IF IT BECOMES NECESSARY TO SMOKE, YOU MAY ONLY SMOKE IN A DESIGNATED AREA WHICH IS NOT UNDER THE ROOF OF ANY OF THE BARNS. NO AREA IS A DESIGNATED AREA WHERE SMOKING IS PERMITTED UNLESS THERE ARE SAND BUCKETS IN THE AREA. IF YOU MUST SMOKE, PLEASE DO SO AWAY FROM THE BARN AREA AND BE SURE TO EXTINGUISH ALL CIGARETTES (DO NOT FLICK THEM) AND DISPOSE OF THEM IN THE SAND BUCKETS.

3. NO BICYCLE RIDING, SKATE BOARDING, ROLLER BLADING, SKATING, OR BALL PLAYING ON THE PREMISES.

4. ALL FEEDS MUST BE IN ENCLOSED CONTAINERS, SO NO HORSE CAN GAIN ACCESS TO IT.

5. NO HORSE IS TO BE LEFT UNATTENDED WHILE ON THE HOT WALKER OR TIED TO A POLE.

6. HARD HATS ARE REQUIRED FOR RIDERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 AND ANYONE USING THE JUMPS.

7. CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED (UNTIL THEY HAVE REACHED THEIR 13TH BIRTHDAY) AT THE BARN WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION. __________INITIALS.

8. CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED (UNTIL THEY HAVE REACHED THEIR 13TH BIRTHDAY) TO HANDLE AND/OR RIDE HORSES ON THE PREMISES UNLESS THE OWNER IS PRESENT AND THE OWNER HAS GIVEN THE OWNER’S WRITTEN PERMISSION. IN ADDITION, NO CHILD (UNTIL THEY HAVE REACHED THEIR 13TH BIRTHDAY) IS ALLOWED TO HANDLE AND/OR RIDE ANY HORSE ON THE PREMISES UNLESS AN ADULT, WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHILD, COMES WITH THE CHILD ONTO THE PREMISES AND ACCOMPANIES AND SUPERVISES THE CHILD AT ALL TIMES THE CHILD IS HANDLING AND/OR RIDING HORSES ON THE PREMISES.

9. ANYONE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 13-18 THAT DOES NOT OWN A HORSE OR WHOSE PARENTS ARE NOT THE OWNERS OF A UNIT WITHIN SADDLE UP TOWNHOMES, MUST HAVE A SIGNED WAIVER IN A FORM ACCEPTABLE TO THE ASSOCIATION IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION FROM THEIR PARENTS AND THE OWNER OF THE HORSE THEY ARE CARING FOR BE ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES.

10. IF RULES 7, 8 AND/OR 9 ARE VIOLATED, THE PROPER AUTHORITIES WILL BE CONTACTED.

11. WE RECOMMEND THAT HALTERS BE REMOVED FROM HORSES IN STALLS AND TURNOUT AREAS. AS WILL ALL ACTIVITIES ON THE PREMISES, NOT DOING SO IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

12. VEHICLES ARE TO BE PARKED IN THE DESGINATED PARKING AREAS. NO DRIVING IN AND/OR PARKING IN THE BARN AREA UNLESS LOADING AND UNLOADING.

13. TURNOUT WILL BE LIMITED TO ONE HOUR DURING BUSY TIMES. ARENA IS FOR RIDING ONLY.

14. ALL OWNERS, RIDERS, AND BLACKSMITHS MUST CLEAN UP BEHIND HORSES. MANURE SHOULD BE DUMPED IN THE WAGON OR MUCK BASKETS ONLY. BE SURE TO DUMP AS FAR BACK IN THE MANURE WAGON AS POSSIBLE. A $5.OO FINE WILL BE CHARGED TO HORSE OWNER FOR ANY OFFENSE.

15. A $10.00 FEE AND CURRENT COGGINS IS REQUIRED OF VISITING HORSES USING THE FACILITIES.

16. HORSES MUST BE WASHED IN DESIGNATED WASHING AREAS. WATER HOSES SHOULD BE RECOILED AND TURNED OFF TIGHTLY WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THEM.

17. IN AN EMERGENCY, A VET WILL BE CALLED AT YOUR EXPENSE IF YOU CANNOT BE REACHED OR IF YOU FAIL TO TAKE APPROPRIATE MEASURES.

18. ANY UNNECESSARY REPRIMANDING OF ANY KIND TO A HORSE, SUCH AS ABUSIVE SPURRING, GROSS NEGLECT, OR INJURING BY DRUG INTAKE, WILL NOT BE TOLERATED BY THIS ESTABLISHMENT. IF NECESSARY, STALLS, FEEDING, AND WATERING WILL BE DONE AND CHARGED TO THE OWNER. THE SITUATION MUST BE CORRECTED OR THE PROPER AUTHORITIES WILL BE CALLED.

19. A $5.00 CHARGE WILL BE ASSESSED TO THE OWNER OF A HORSE LEFT UNATTENDED, RESULTING IN SADDLE UP PERSONNEL RETURNING THE HORSE TO IT’S STALL FROM THE PADDOCK, HOT WALKER, OR POLE.

20. RING COURTESY SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED. WHEN RIDING ON THE RAIL, PASS LEFT SHOULDER TO LEFT SHOULDER.

21. BOARDERS ARE REQUIRED TO CHECK WITH MANAGEMENT BEFORE MAKING STALL OR TACK ROOM CHANGES AND BEFORE MOVING YOUR TRAILER FROM ITS DESIGNATED PARKING SPOT.

22. ANY CONCERNS AND REQUESTS MUST BE ADDRESSED IN WRITING WITH DATE AND YOUR NAME.

23. BOARD RENT IS DUE THE 1ST OF THE MONTH AND IS LATE BY THE 5TH OF THE MONTH. THE LATE CHARGE IS $15.00 IF PAST DUE 60 DAYS, LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN TO HAVE YOU AND YOUR HORSE REMOVED FROM SADDLE UP.

24. ALL TRAILERS ARE TO USE THE BACK GATE ENTRANCE ON 76TH AVENUE.

25. BOARDERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE SADDLE UP TOWNHOMES FACILITIES UNLESS THEY ARE A GUEST OF A SADDLE UP TOWNHOME UNIT OWNER. THIS INCLUDED THE POOL, LAKES, BASKETBALL, ETC.

26. THERE IS A $75.00 REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT ON PREPARED STALLS. IT WILL BE REFUNDED IF YOU LEAVE THE STALL IN THE CONDITION IN WHICH YOU FOUND IT. BARN MANAGER IS IN CHARGE OF ALL STALL RENTALS.

27. SHAVINGS AND/OR SAND DELIVERIES MAY NOT BE DUMPED IN FRONT OF HORSE TIE UP AREAS. THERE IS A 5 DAY MAXIMUM TIME PERIOD FOR YOU TO HAVE SHAVINGS OR SAND CLEANED UP AND YOU MUST SWEEP THE AREA CLEAN. BOARDER OR MANAGER MUST BE PRESENT TO ACCEPT ALL DELIVERIES.

28. ALL EQUIPMENT THAT IS LEFT OUT WILL BE PICKED UP IN THE MORNING AND STORED. YOU MUST SEE BARN MANAGER OR BARN WORKERS AND PAY $1.00 RECOVERY FEE TO HAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT RETURNED. ITEMS LEFT OVER 30 DAYS UNCLAIMED MAY BE AUCTIONED OFF.

29. PLEASE BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ON FILE IN THE STABLE OFFICE (1) A CURRENT NEGATIVE COGGINS. (2) SIGNED STABLE RULES. (3) SIGNED INFORMATION SHEET. (4) WAIVER PER RULE #9.

30. GATE CARDS REQUIRE A $20.00 REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT PER CARD. NO PARKING IS PERMITTED OUTSIDE OF GATES, VEHICLES WILL BE TOWED.

31. PHONE IS NOT FOR SOCIALIZING.

32. IF YOU FEED THE CATS, PLEASE DRY FOOD ONLY.

33. THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF HAY BALES TO BE STORED ON PREMISES FOR ANY ONE HORSE IS 6 AND SHOULD BIT IN THE SPACE OF ONE 42 X 42 PALLET. WE DO NOT HAVE ROOM TO STORE MORE THAN THAT.

34. TOWN OF DAVIE AND SADDLE UP REQUIRES YOU TO LEASH AND HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR DOG AT ALL TIMES.

35. ANY LOSS OF EQUIPMENT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF SADDLE UP, ITS MANAGEMENT, OR EMPLOYEES.

36. ANY DAMAGE TO TRAILERS BEING STORE AT SADDLE UP IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF SADDLE UP, ITS MANAGEMENT OR EMPLOYEES.

37. GATES MUST BE CLOSED AT ALLTIMES. FLORIDA STATUTE S588.011 (1994)

38. CENTER AISLE STALL DOORS MUST HAVE FULL-SIZED DOORS, NOT STALL GUARDS. THE AISLE IS TOO NARROW TO ALLOW HORSES TO PASS SAFELY.

YOUR COOPERATION IN RECOGNIZING THE IMPORTANCE OF THESE RULES, AS WELL AS ADHERING TO THEM, IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS IS YOUR NOTICE OF THESE RULES. FINES OF $5.00 PER INCIDENT WILL BE IMPOSED. THE ABOVE RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT MANAGEMENT’S DISCRETION.

THANK YOU.
SADDLE UP MANAGEMENT BOARDER SIGNATURE AND STALL #
REPRESENTATIVE

______________________________ _________________________________----_

DATE: ____________________________-----------

Posted on Friday, Jul 5, 2002 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are the stallion rules....

Please follow all rules listed below. If negligent behavior persists Saddle Up Stables has the right to ask tenant to leave.

1. All stallions MUST be kept in a concrete stall. NO EXCEPTIONS. The middle aisle in the main barn is designated " THE STALLION AISLE" If no stall is available the stallion MUST be in concrete and preferably away from mares.
2. If existing tenants to the right and left of stallion do not want him there, horse must be moved. This needs to be a written request from existing tenant.
3. Do not walk stallions down any other aisle but your own.
4. NO BREEDING ALLOWED on Saddle Up property. NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Stallions outside of their stall must be attended by owner at all times. Do not leave your horse unattended for any reason. NO EXCEPTIONS.
6. Stallions should only use WEST Paddock (close to pool house) only. There will be exceptions if there is no one utilizing any paddock then stallion may use any, but the minute someone wants to put out a mare, or a gelding the stallion must be removed.
7. Stallion must be attended AT ALL TIMES on the hot walker. Do not leave your horse and then go off and do your stall, etc.
8. No one without written authorization by owner may handle the stallion.
9. DO not use a stallion to help another tenant to "tease" their mare.
10. Do not walk the stallion down any other aisle but where he lives.
11. Stall doors must remain shut when owner is not in the vicinity/barn area. NO STALL GUARDS are to be used when owner is not at the barn.
12. PLEASE BE ADVISED that any damage the stallion may make to his stall, or someone elses or any property on Saddle Up is to be paid for by the owner of the stallion. NO EXCEPTIONS.
13. Any stallion that is deemed UNCONTROLLABE by Saddle Up Townhomes or its employees or representatives and is deemed a threat to the safety of bystanders will be asked to leave. NO EXCEPTIONS.
These rules are for everyone’s safety. Please follow all rules and if there are any questions or concerns contact the Barn Committee Chairs or President of the association. Please sign this agreement.

DATE_____SIGNATURE of owner______________________________STALL#_____

HORSE (Description)______________________________________________________

Posted on Saturday, Jul 6, 2002 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent Jo.
DrO

Colleen Goolsby
Username: Goolsby

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The subject has gotten pretty far off line, but Kristin, I agree with the others. Look around and you will see a large number (maybe even the majority) of riders are a little heavy. Myself included. I started out fairly thin (135)but have gain 65lbs in the 10 years ive been riding. Dont be hurt just write this woman off as someone that is not worth your time.

As for stable rules, I know people have to board and have rules, but geezzzz Im glad I dont have all the rules rules rules. I lease a pasture and shelter. There is no written contract, one rule: pay your rent on time and a mutual understanding of decency and respect.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC